Thursday, November 11, 2010

Got into an Italian film: IL GIORNO IN PIU

The title translates into meaning "The Extra Day"... and that's exactly what I did. Took an "extra" vacation day to be in this gig.

Visions of Frederico Fellini wafted through my egotistic mushy brain. Half expecting some surrealistic dreamscape as my background -but as it turned out, it was Times Square's bustling crowd across the street from TKTS and in front of McDonalds on a relatively gray and chilly Monday. Very close to where my paying-job takes place!
Fabio Volo
The love story was based on a book written by the main actor, Fabio Volo. Apparently he loses a letter that was meant to be sent to a girl he needs to meet. But having lost the envelope with all the pertinent info about her -he is lost. Fortunately for him, a hot dog vendor finds the letter and intercedes in some way to bring them together -albeit after some comical romps.
Massimo Venier

We were taken to this set and summarily selected for the "hot dog vendor scene"! My luck still held out as the director, Massimo Venier, chose me (most likely because of my long beige scarf). They wanted someone who was wearing "something light colored" as opposed to the drab blacks and grays that most of us sported (as per wardrobe instructions in our call sheets).

And so it was me and the "intermediary star" of this film, the hot dog vendor, who would be the centerpiece of the film maker's camera lens... and the gawking tourists, at least for an hour or two! I kept fantasizing about my co-workers walking by -alas, that didn't happen!
The direction was to have the vendor serve me a hot dog on a bun (I never eat that stuff -but then, that's part of acting strange) -and as I accept it, he sees some signage on a van that he must note down immediately. I fiddle with my pockets -vainly searching for some change while he mugs surprise and intense discovery. Our exchange is friendly enough, but I suspect the only thing that will be in the film is my hand accepting the hot dog... if that much!?
After wrapping up, I headed for the train -down the same path I usually take for my regular job and soon get a call from my agent. She asked if I could be available for tomorrow because they wanted me back... since they didn't get the shot... since it was getting too Autumn-dark.
Such are the foibles of rescinding Daylight Savings Time: night comes too quickly (especially to my movie career). I was already booked to do something else... and couldn't return.

No comments:

Doldrums in the last weeks of 2015

And so this year draws to a close... and so does my blogging! I've worked at being a background actor and loved it... not sure wha...