Saturday, February 04, 2006

SoHo - so what?


A cast call at the Cupping Room Café on SoHo's West Broadway provided the perfect follow up to my last night's "adventures with tea-reading in libraryland". I was "white-rabbit late" for the audition because I confusingly went to the "correct" address on on the "incorrect" Broadway… but the director, Will , didn't mind. He recognized me from my headshot as I walked up to him and he introduced me to his assistant. Stephanie. She shook hands with me and I shook it right back (I'm not one to miss out on the "tangible benefits" of western civilization).

The director plied me with compliments in his somekind-of-an-English/French accent, about me having the perfect looks for the part of the "ANGRY DRIVER"… and then Stephanie suddenly piped up, "Can you just muss-up your hair and can you just muss-up your eyebrows… yeah like that… real fuzzy!".
"Perfect!" says the director. Then he showed me the MTV-type of script and described my part as being that of a driver who almost runs down a bicycler in Brooklyn's DUMBO district… and when the cyclist skittles out of the way, I should get out of the car and shout angry explitives… and "Can you be available for the next four days?". Sure… I said. But why do I need to be available for " 4 DAYS" when my part is so short? Oh no no no… misunderstanding… I'll only be needed for ONE DAY… and after a small conference with the DP, even the day was nailed down! "And only during daylight."

Good by me. One more thing… can he reimburse me for the train trip? Well we're all working without pay here… but yes reimbursement and "meals" will be provided. EXCELLENT (I'm starting to bargain... knowing fully well that it's all baloney)! The DP then took me over to the wall and took some photos of my "angry" puss. Then the director bade me good bye… and that he's "99% certain" that I would get the part… but just to make certain -I would be contacted by the DP later today (the baloney slices were getting thin).

A day later the call DID come.
I got the part!

Another interesting adventure resulted from my latest excursion in this neighborhood. While walking through SoHo, I found a "yellow notice" posted on a tree, saying that filming was going on for "PERFECT STRANGER" -and the contact number was: 212-563-7053. Upon the follow up, I found out that Sylvia Fay(e) was the casting director. Unfortunately, her website, InstantCast.com was charging money to join. Yet another lead gone awry. Or perhaps, this is the trip that the tea-leaf-reader was talking about last night… not working out! But NO! I shared this info with Tom, my new best actor friend from the Guys and Dolls gig -who also wasn't able to get a fix on Sylvia Fay but recommended that I get in touch with the Scott Powers casting agency. They had somekind of a movie job available. I quickly acted on Tom's tip and emailed my stuff to them. A few hours later I was called back and given a $50-gig that was being shot the following day at 35 West 67th Street, entitled "1/9" with Billy Baldwin and Heather Graham! Life is good.

No comments:

Doldrums in the last weeks of 2015

And so this year draws to a close... and so does my blogging! I've worked at being a background actor and loved it... not sure wha...