Saturday, July 14, 2012

Can A Song Save Your Life (a.k.a. the Adam Levine Show)


I submitted for this gig (CAN A SONG SAVE YOUR LIFE?) a number of times but never got picked.  Then I got a notice in my email from BE IN A MOVIE (dot com), that they need audience people at Grammercy Theater in NYC for this movie.  One glitch with this agency: no pay!

But I'm a Maroon5 fan and really like Adam Levine's tunes so I sacrificed a day to "hang with the man"... and 300 other extras at this small venue.  It was well worth it!
We were divided into 2 groups: one in the "mosh pit" area in front of the stage and the other group up in the seats.  I was in the pit, about 10 layers of people away from the stage.  The scene was about Adam's character, Dave, longing to hook-up with the love of his life by playing a song that they both worked on in their past relationship.  He screwed up the relationship and now wants desperately to reconnect with her. At the end of his usual set, he sets up a guitar on stage, hoping desperately that she will be in the audience -and will come up on stage, pick up the guitar and join him in singing the tune.  Sadly... the girl never materializes.

This tune is repeated an endless amount of times throughout the day in retakes -each time we cheer with various intensity as per the director's whim.  Luckily, the song was really good.  But even better, Adam's banter with the audience was unstopable.  He was constantly toying with us... at times asking us to tell a joke, or to yell out songs he could sing... and he did a great job with each song -from Beatles tunes to Cee-lo Green's unadultarated F-U mantra.  In fact the centerpiece of his commeraderie with us was incessent cursing. Not too many sentences went by without some curse-word just for the heck of it... and then the director got up there and did the same thing... cursed out the audience (albeit in a friendly way).  It was like being at a frat house...FUN!

As the day went on, I camped out by the bar and chit-chatted with one of the photographers.  He told me that the movie was sold, looked good and would most likely be a success -but he had no idea as to when it would be released.  And as the day wore on... I gravitated toward the seats which were concealed by darkness, and sank into one of the remote comfy theater seats by the wall.  I never enjoyed a theater seat as much as this one.  It seems I'd been standing on my feet for hours on end in the mosh pit and was in too much of a euphoric state from all the entertainment to realize that my legs needed a rest.  I have no idea if I'll be seen in this movie at all... but after sitting in a comfy chair, being entertained by "Dave", and doing it all for free... I just didn't mind.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

Hi niice reading your blog

Doldrums in the last weeks of 2015

And so this year draws to a close... and so does my blogging! I've worked at being a background actor and loved it... not sure wha...