Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Party time with THE ORDAINED in the Bowery


For a while, my ride into the city on the Long Island Rail Road was restful, until the conductor informed me that the train was still a “peak-time-train” and that I would have to pay the extra money for the appropriate ticket.  I should have taken the later train and risk missing my call time of 10:30 AM in the Bowery section of Manhattan.  I should know better by now… that it takes a while to process people and that being late by half-an hour would be “acceptable”… but I just can’t bring myself to do that.  I’m a stickler for keeping my engagements on time. I guess that would classify me as an obsessive compulsive personality –but the truth is that I love a challenge and like to achieve my goals as planned… or in this case, “ordained”.

I arrived camera-ready in my tuxedo at the tightly spaced holding area of China-town’s Ukrainian church! The PA’s were cordial and smart so the sign-in processing went fast and soon we were taken over to the set at the old Bowery Savings Bank (an 1895 Roman Revival landmark desgned by Stanford White). It was yet another New York City legacy building that had been converted into a Cipriani-style banquet hall going by the name of Capitale.  Huge Corinthian columns on the interior were holding up a vast 65-foot high ceiling above marbled floors that was now complete with hanging stage lights and speakers.  The scene was to be that of a fundraiser gala for the latest Hollywood version of a New York City mayor… played by Hope Davis in a shapely red dress.  There was no doubt who the center of attraction was  going to be.
  

I had seen Hope in a successful Broadway play with James Gandolfini, Jeff Daniels and Marcia Gay Harden (God of Carnage).  She was very good albeit the least known of the four at the time.  With a serious countenance there’s something about her that is reminiscent of a young Hilary Clinton… a role that Hope already played in "The Special Relationship" back in 2010.  Perhaps she's starting to get the ole' political typecast treatment.

Hope and Hillary
The PA’s paired us up with partners to sit at the banquet tables.  My partner was a pretty blond, Nicola, whose origins and consequent accent hailed from South Africa.  We chatted it up and felt comfortable with exchanging acting stories.  Although she had studied and done acting, she confided that this was her first experience as an extra.  When I told her that she looked a lot like the actress Jessica Chestain, she admitted that she didn't know who that was!?
  
Nicola
A short time later, one of the attractive black women standing nearby also remarked to her that she could easily be a stand-in for Jessica.  Now her interest in Jessica Chestain was really aroused! I expect she'll be IMDB-ing her soon.

Jessica
The woman continued the conversation with my partner, asking if she had an English or Australian accent.  Upon revelation, the black woman said “So you’re really an African-American!”.  Laughter and friendly banter ensued.  It was a replay of a former pronouncement made by Charlize Theron during an interview on a talk show.  This gig was a particularly uplifting experience for me since I was constantly paired with attractive women.  It brought back memories of when I was a kid going to school, and how much I got a kick out of sitting next to the prettiest girl in the class room... or anywhere else for that matter!

Soon this show began to roll and we were given direction to mingle around the party room at various tables.  We were eventually placed next to where Hope Davis’ scenes were taking place with her “brother” played by Boardwalk Empire’s Charlie Cox.
Charlie Cox
The story line was that he had left the priesthood in order to become a lawyer so that he could be near to... and protect his sister, the mayor, from an assassination attempt.  There were kids in the scene and even a baby…. which was a recipe for lots of repeat takes.  That, and the director’s finicky indulgence toward perfection, made the day… and night stretch out… to 2:30 AM.
director RJ Cutler
The subways don’t run too often at this time of the night and I didn't want to risk missing the last train out of Penn Station –which might have caused me to wait an extra 2 hours for the trains to begin running again. I decided to take a taxi to Penn Station and caught the 3:10 AM home for some well-needed rest.  After getting home at 4:15 AM , I had to check my email first –and lo and behold there was my confirmation check-in number for tomorrow’s gig on Long Island.  By the time I organized my info it was 5 in the morning and I had to set my alarm clock to 6! 

No comments:

Doldrums in the last weeks of 2015

And so this year draws to a close... and so does my blogging! I've worked at being a background actor and loved it... not sure wha...